It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:37 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]         Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weekly progress
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everybody!

Johan and I have been busy this weekend. When Johan arrived yesterday we started with updating all code to new versions. This took up most of our time on Saturday. Today we've continued to improve some classes but after lunch we started to create the new world. It took some time as we had to make a new and larger map for this as we need to place more empires on it. :D

The new world, Elinth, is now created and we are currently testing it. As we've updated a lot of code we want to make sure that everything works before uploading the apk to our playtesters.

I thought I would end this update with a screenshot of the new map view:
Attachment:
File comment: Improved map view.
shot27.jpg
shot27.jpg [ 71.14 KiB | Viewed 4105 times ]

Cheers!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!

The play test has now started and today we processed the fourth turn which also is the first turn with an economical update. The relatively small map has made most empires encounter other empires already. Johan and I hope we'll see some action soon... :twisted: It's really exciting for us as it's the first time someone else get to play Rising Empires.

We are working to complete a new version of Rising Empires which our play testers will get to download next week. Among the news is a 'garrison' feature allowing players to designate armies as garrison armies. When an army is designated as garrison army it will be bypassed in the map view which is where you do movement orders.

That's all for now. I hope you all have a good weekend! :D

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everybody!

Todays update is a little longer with a report from our beta test as well as an update on the newest additions in Rising Empires.

The beta test is in its second week now and as all empires started very close to each other we should start to see some conflicts soon. Yes, we are looking forward to this as we want to continue testing the combat routines. It's also important to evaluate how the different races fare against each other but this is hard to balance correctly with all their non-combat abilities. The different mechanics and abilities of the races makes them all unique, the best way to play a Krant empire might be a poor way for a Dwarf empire. And this goes for all the races except for the Humans which are good at adapting to most play styles.

In the beta I play a Dwarf and a Krant empire and I can't escape the fact that these two races are the opposite of each other. The Krant increase in numbers increadibly quick compared to the Dwarves but in combat they will be slaughtered like the bugs they are. The Ende are, perhaps, even more combat oriented than the Dwarves but with their limited numbers (the majority of their population is Greenskins) it's a question if you dare muster them all and sending them out to wage war?

Another interesting fact with the Dwarves are that they start with assets both in the Netherworld and the Surface:
Attachment:
File comment: Starting positions of the Darkmoor empire.
shot28.jpg
shot28.jpg [ 71.66 KiB | Viewed 4074 times ]

The capital and town is connected by a cave opening which makes their two starting settlements very strong combined. But it also makes them vulnurable as they will face potential enemies on both levels.

Johan and I already think that this beta test has been very valueble. We've received good comments on how Rising Empires functions and two of our beta testers has also tested it on their tablets with good results. We wait with excitement on the first evaluation of the game play as well. Up til now most comments has been on functionality (or lack of in some cases) and very little on game play. Rising Empires is a massive multiplayer long term strategy game. Rome wasn't built in a day and it will be the same for empires in Rising Empires.

This tuesday we released the second beta version of Rising Empires to our beta testers with a lot of improvements and new functionality. Many of them has been geared towards the food system; better functionality of the improve terrain feature (see screenshot below), settlement view now shows how much food each civilian gets which makes food planning easier and clicking on a map sector now shows how much food that sector generates. It's now possible for settlements with a large non-Elf population to burn down forests and for settlements with a large Elf population to grow new forests. Many other things has also been fixed, for example the Ende can now build the basic Greenskin company types (Militia, Engineer and Settler). A lot of new art has also been added.
Attachment:
File comment: Improve terrain.
shot29.jpg
shot29.jpg [ 24.04 KiB | Viewed 4074 times ]

That's all for today! Don't forget to +1 and like us on our main page...

Cheers!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!

We've now released the third beta version of Rising Empires and one cool feature is that our players now can buy warriors and mages for their companies. My dwarves launched an attack against Johans human empire through a cave opening. It should have been a relatively even battle but my mage decided to throw fireballs wildly at the enemy, breaking their morale even before the two forces had clashed and we just killed them all... :D Okey, I got lucky there but leaders in companies have a large impact on how the company performs.

Here is a screenshot from turn 17 of the beta test. The Krant empire Swarm is trying to break through the borders of Blackwills Ende empire...
Attachment:
File comment: Combat lists and summary.
shot30.jpg
shot30.jpg [ 80.27 KiB | Viewed 3961 times ]

We are currently working to fix a few issues that has arisen with the combat system and we believe this will greatly improve how companies behave and select their targets during combat.

Talking about the beta test. We've now mailed the first evaluation of the test to our play testers. This is the scary part. Okey, we've let others play the game but now we ask what they think about it... :shock:

Stay tuned for updates about the evaluation in the coming weeks.

Cheers!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everybody!

Yesterday we released beta version 4 of Rising Empires to our play testers and are eagerly awaiting their response. Most of our play testers have answered to the evaluation we mailed a few weeks ago. The quality of the answers were very high, giving us lots of important insights in some of the features. Johan and I had a lot to talk about this weekend and there are some things that we'll look more into.

We are constantly working to improve the different views and their functionality. Below is two screenshots of the army view with the right one giving details on all the attached companies. As you can see this army has seen some action not long ago...
Attachment:
File comment: Improved army view...
shot31.jpg
shot31.jpg [ 69.94 KiB | Viewed 3888 times ]

We've also improved the combat system making it more interesting. How you put together your army is more important now and will have a larger impact on the result than before. Company morale is also more important.

Generally your forces set up in a front line, called battle line, and a second line that contains all archers and civilians. While the opposing battle lines engages in melee combat the second lines will rain arrows over the battle field. Company abilities allows you to train skirmishers that can by-pass the enemy battle line and attack their second line directly. Cavalry can also outflank the enemy and attack their archers. We still need to tweak the new combat system a bit but it look very promising indeed! :P

Happy Easter to all of you! :)

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everybody!

It's friday the 13th and I'm home with a cold and slight fever. Nice that the day lives up to its name...

Anyway, time for an update on Rising Empires. Last week I talked a bit about changes to the ground combat system, introducing more tactical options and increasing the importance of company morale and troop abilities. Many of the MMOs out there uses very simplfied combat systems. The one with most ships/soldiers win and the other dies. No strategy, no fun. And often it happens while you are asleep as well...

As Rising Empires is turn based players won't 'miss' when they are attacked, they got plenty of time to decide their response (1 turn/weekday). How you design your troop types and how you assemble your armies will affect their effectiveness. Quality (and skill) can turn the tide of war against enemies that has superiority in numbers.
Attachment:
File comment: Improved settlement view.
shot32.jpg
shot32.jpg [ 77.71 KiB | Viewed 3844 times ]

Rising Empires is a civilisation building strategy game. There's a lot more than combat going on. During the beta test we've noticed that larger settlements has large development potential and plenty do to but smaller settlements is less interesting. To fix this we've made all the basic buildings quicker to construct and we've also increased the number of buildings a small settlement can house. But there is a lot more that can be done with settlements, like improving the infrastructure in the sectors around it (increases the food output) and building troops. It's the settlements and their inhabitants that make your empire.
Attachment:
File comment: Terrains that can be improved outside the capital of Darkmoor.
shot33.jpg
shot33.jpg [ 35.84 KiB | Viewed 3844 times ]

A ranking system will let each player know the 'power' of their empire as well as their position in the top list. This ranking will be based on a mix of the empires population, research, military and wealth. To make it a bit more interesting the power of the empires religion also influences the ranking.

Please visit our Rising Empires google page and add us to your circles. And don't forget to +1 and like us on the front page. Thank you!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:01 pm 
Site Admin

Hi!

We are now in the last days of the beta test (it will end tomorrow). Johan and I would like to thank our play testers. Your help and input during the beta has been very important for us and we hope you have enjoyed playing the game. A number of your suggestions for improvements is being implemented.

This monday we also released beta version 5 of Rising Empires. There is plenty of goodies in this version, one of them is more functionality in the diplomacy view, small settlements can now build more buildings, technology information when you select research projects (see screenshot) and more.
Attachment:
shot34.jpg
shot34.jpg [ 75.01 KiB | Viewed 3706 times ]

The question now arises how we'll proceed from here. The first beta is about to end. Johan and I believe that we'll need to do one more closed beta before we open up Rising Empires for a big test. Partly because Johan and I are behind schedule and partly since there has been some changes that must be tested further.

The second beta will differ from this beta as all empires will start with a bunch of technologies (i.e. it will be possible to build fleets and cavalry from the first turn). If you are interested in participating in this beta please send a mail to 'peter.norberg@gmail.com' and register on our forum (all beta discussions will be there).

Winnie-the-Pooh, wise as he is, says that 'Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon'. My Dwarven empire Darkmoor has built a few flying balloons in the beta and let me tell you, Winnie-the-Pooh know what he's talking about...
Attachment:
shot35.jpg
shot35.jpg [ 35.57 KiB | Viewed 3706 times ]

That's all for today. Please visit our Rising Empires google page and add us to your circles. And don't forget to +1 and like us on the front page. Thank you!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:10 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everybody!

I hope you all had a good weekend! Things has progressed a bit slower the last week as Johan and I have focused on the implementation of the next major feature, the religious system (discussed briefly in Norberg bulletin, issue 7). We'll talk more about this, and about the beta test, in the coming Norberg bulletin.

Tonight we'll have a planning session and I intend to start writing code for the religious system tomorrow. It's exciting to try to implement guilds in a empire building game... one of our headaches is how to make it important for empires to take part in the war between the gods. What's in it for your empire? Why should I send armies away from the 'real' world?

Nina is working away with the graphics and we are very happy with her work. She is rapidly closing on 200 completed images... ;)

Now I must head off to Ikea to buy some wooden floor for the balcony. With summer coming a few things needs to be fixed.

Cheers!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am 
Site Admin

Hi!

It sucks when you can't get your daily fix of Rising Empires. Johan and I are currently doing the last changes in some classes in order to start a new 'in house'-test. I am really looking forward to be able to play the game again. Lots of the stuff we've been doing have been to prepare the code for the religious system and start to implement Heaven.

The religious system is complex to implement as many features will differ from the other two levels, the Surface and the Netherworld. Also, religious power must be calculated regularly to update the bonuses each religion type gives to its followers. A lot is going on but unfortunately not much to show or tell you about.

Our aim is to publish the next issue of the Norberg bulletin next week. It will summarise where we are and how we look at the future.

Cheers!

OfflineProfile     
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:48 pm 
Site Admin

Hi everybody!

Johan and I have finally got a new game of Rising Empires up and running. It's a small island world with only two human empires. We'll use this world mainly to test fleet movement, embarkation and disembarkation of armies and fleet battles. While we have an advanced and complex ground combat system (mentioned in previous posts and will also be discussed briefly in the coming Norberg bulletin) we use a simpler fleet combat system. It's a system which we can build upon in the future if the need arises.

The thought behind this is that all empires will build armies and get into a lot of ground battles. Ground battles is also the means of conquering other empires and their settlements. All in all ground combat has a more profound effect on the game than fleet battles.

Some of you might wonder what programs we use when we work on Rising Empires.

Eclipse - http://www.eclipse.org/
We write the code for the Rising Empires app as well as the our own processing editor on Eclipse.
Attachment:
File comment: Map editor centered over the central island in our new test.
shot36 - editor.jpg
shot36 - editor.jpg [ 36.13 KiB | Viewed 3472 times ]

OpenOffice - http://www.openoffice.org/
We have used this for all documents but are now considering to change to LibreOffice.
LibreOffice - http://www.libreoffice.org/
We plan on using LibreOffice instead of OpenOffice as our main office program.
DropBox - http://www.dropbox.com/
DropBox has been a great help for us as it allows us to share files. Very handy as Johan live in Gothenburg and I in Sollentuna...
Adobe CS - http://www.adobe.com/products/creatives ... moid=JOPBW
Sara uses Adobe CS for making the cool looking Norberg bulletin and other graphics work.

I hope you all have a good weekend!

Cheers!

OfflineProfile     

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next