It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:57 am

Post subject: What has inspired us?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Admin

Hi!

The question has arisen of what games and books that inspired Johan and me when we started developing Rising Empires. This is both easy and hard to answer, easy since there are a few inspirational sources that has influenced Rising Empires quite a lot but also hard since it's often hard to pinpoint all the stuff that inspires you.

But I'll do my best. In the games category there are two games that has inspired us more than anything else. The titles, at least one of them might sound strange since it's a space strategy game and none of them are fantasy:
  • Civilization (the whole serie of games) - Similar to Civilization our game, Rising Empires, is a game where you start with a small empire from which you, i.e. the player, shapes it's development into a large empire that 'will stand the test of time'. In Rising Empires you take control of a small Empire which has just settled a new town not far from the capital city. There is a multitude of options on how to expand and a massive technology tree allowing each empire to become unique.
  • Sword of Stars - This is a space strategy game in which each race has a unique drive system. Johan and I have played this game a lot against each others and when we sat down and created the races in Rising Empires we wanted them to have the same differences as the races in Sword of Stars. The races in Rising Empires differ not only in their bonuses but also in their game mechanics. Dwarves, for example, may not develop cavalry and are forbidden to use pikes but they still move quickly as they easily pass through the corridors in the Netherworld. Elves gain more food from wooden terrain and also moves faster among the trees. Krant are small and weak in combat but they grow in numbers faster than any other race. The Ende has their extremely powerful abilities but is countered by their small number as the majority of their population is Greenskins. And so on...

Both of the above games are turn based like Rising Empires. Rising Empires is also a massive multiplayer game which move forward with one turn every weekday. We didn't want to create a classical mmo strategy game where a player needs to be online 24/7 and where your hard earned armies and cities can be crushed when you're asleep. With one turn a day all players have plenty of time to reach and interact with each other.

There is one author whose works has inspired me a lot. When I close my eyes and think of Rising Empires I mainly enter a world inspired by Steven Erikson series "Malazan book of the fallen". These books are filled with heroes (there will be plenty of those in Rising Empires although we call them leaders) that has an impact on the battlefield. These books also follow the struggles of the Malaz empire, an empire that could as well exists in Rising Empires...

I hope this has given you some insight on what has inspired Johan and me in our work with Rising Empires.

Best regards,

Peter

OfflineProfile